Cheap Pop Dept.

It's Friday, so let's have some quick and easy fun. Crossposted from Damien's mailbag:

Colaiacovo/Steen for Stempniak, what some apparently fail to understand (or won't) is that it was far less important what the two former first rounders were or were going to be, and more important that taking on an underachieving veteran with a huge contract wasn't a good idea.

Ah yes, grizzled veteran Lee Stempniak, who has been in the NHL since the sepia-toned days of 2005-2006. Someone should ask him what it was like to play against Howie Morenz. How could Fletch deal two young prospects who had barely been given a chance by the Leafs since their rookie seasons of 2002-03 and 2005-2006 for Unfrozen Caveman Winger?

And 'underachieving'? He had 13 points in 14 games when the trade was made.

"Finally, those of you who want to write and argue that Fletcher was going to be able to trade the Leafs first rounder in '09 and make it draft protected to Anaheim straight up for Bobby Ryan are living in a truly amazing dream world."

Wasn't it taking Schneider's contract and receiving Ryan? No matter, cause you hit the nail on the head here:

"Whether it still would have been a good deal we'll never know, but Anaheim didn't make it, so it only exists in the fantasy world."

So the trade was too speculative to defend what Fletcher may have acquired, but just real enough to bash Fletcher for discussing it. Fantasy World is confusing! Good thing you send us regular postcards from there.

And finally - I know it's his book cover, but how great is that "Spin Plus" has revealed that a gigantic "67" hangs over Damien's desk? It's getting hard to figure out where Cox Bloc ends and the Spin begins....

Mabel said:

Ah, I remember back when Stemps was a rookie. As I recall, women had just gotten the vote, and there was all sorts of talk about this newfangled "tele-visual" programming that had just been invented.

Ah yes, that takes me back. Remember when Lee played his firs NHL game? Keith Tkachuk fell into a butter churn or was stricken with dropsy - I'm a little rusty on my Ancient History.

Anyways, Lee was an emergency callup, the Blues had to charter an autogyro to make sure they had someone to play rover against the Kenora Thistles that night.

Die Tomi said:

I remember Stemps's rookie year. I had an onion on my belt, as was the style at the time.

blindfolded tank driver said:

Good old Stemp was really an inspiration for the boys fighting over in France in the great war. His prowess at stealth and unique way of 'slapping his stick' at the puck is an awe-inspiring. The boys keep pictures of the Stemp to remind them to keep fighting off the Hun!

Manny Darkov said:

Guess Stemps isn't old enough to remember when Fletcher was ever a good hockey executive according to Cox's knowledge of time assessment.

I was hoping this post was going to be about Eddie Shack and the Pop Shoppe. Their lemon-lime was a favourite of mine back when Cox sported a bouffant instead of his current Daddy Warbucks look. My sister swore by the pink cream soda but I think she bought it mostly because she knew I'd never drink it.

But to get back to this breaking news, the missing piece in all of this coverage is the fact that had Colaiacovo (sp?) been born three weeks earlier, all players involved in this trade would be Acquarians.

Oh, and Cola is the oldest player of the three Jan '83, Stempniak is Feb '83 and Steen is March '84.

Grizzled vet indeed.

Yeah, I guess Cox never read Suetonius's glowing reviews of the Gilmour trade in the original Latin.

I was hoping this post was going to be about Eddie Shack and the Pop Shoppe.

Damn, now I wish it was too. A popular insult when I was a kid was "When they were handing out brains, you must have been at the Pop Shoppe." The metaphysics of this mystified me as a child.

Did Eddie Shack shill for the Shoppe?

...how great is that "Spin Plus" has revealed that a gigantic "67" hangs over Damien's desk?

I guess the Draft Schmaft poster must be hanging just out of camera range.

Rill Boot said:

Oddly enough the Pop Shoppe has risen from it's non-existent slumber to make its fizzy wares again. I purchased a bottle of the stuff at Shoplifters Drug Mart in the bowels of the Eaton Centre in December. Maybe they've gone back out of business again? You can also get Pop Shoppe beverages at that Poutine place in Der Klub Distrikt in Toronto, Smokes Poutinery or whatever the hell it's called. Good 'Tine at Smokes - two out of four arteries congestingly approve.

I can't remember when Stemps was a rookie, though I vaguely recall that it may have been that hellbent and lawless time when dueling was replaced with a game of Penny Farthing chicken as a means to settle unreconcilable differences. Of course, Penny Farthing jousting was tried, but the ability to barrel down a poorly cobbled street with a pointed lance in hand on a large front wheeled bicycle made it largely an exercise of abject futility. Those were the days though, wooden dentures, monocles, and not yet the advent of the zoot suit to ruin western democracy as we know it.

Oh, no, the Cockster's not bald. Nononononono, nossir. It's just that his round, shiny and uncrenellated brain has burst through his skull and eaten all his hair in an attempt to stave off its inevitable death by oxygen deficiency.

Eddie Shack did indeed shill for the pop shoppe. Quick, to the youtubes!

Zeter Pezel said:

That Eddie Shack clip is the best 70's commerical I've seen in a while. "Look after the nickles and dimes and the dollars will look after themselves!"
Indeed....Speaking of Eddies, wasn't that Shore's mantra in Springfield?

Varry Galk said:

In Damien Cox's v-log today, he is wearing a Minnesota Wild jersey. Really.

This page contains a single entry by Godd Till published on April 3, 2009 3:36 PM.

SEE YOU LATER, SUCKERS! was the previous entry in this blog.

This Blog Is Better Than The Playoffs is the next entry in this blog.